In my last post, I ranted about the SmartScreen filter. Since then, I discovered that SS is one word with word capitals. I also discovered that it took about one day for my app to download without the SS filter warning from Windows 8.1. Apparently, my new certificate wasn’t associated with my old one, with my download files, or with me, for that short amount of time.

So I take back what I said, mostly. The SmartScreen filter is still abusive to small private developers because of the way it suggests to users that the downloaded software is malware. Taking a day to figure out my certificate change was also one day longer than it should have taken.